The iO… here to support, unite, promote and develop the osteopathic profession
By being a member of the Institute of Osteopathy, you are contributing to this ambitious endeavour and investing in the future of our profession.
As the professional body in osteopathy the Institute of Osteopathy, formerly the British Osteopathic Association, has a long and successful history of defending the profession, representing individual members in difficulty, and acting as the voice of the profession with government and health bodies.
Our members continue to enjoy the security of knowing that we will fight for fair and reasonable treatment should they need it, and we are here to provide practical advice and guidance across a wide range of clinical and business issues.
In addition, our members can access a range of services developed to support them through every stage of their career; from starting out, advancing their clinical skills to developing their practice. We are constantly tailoring our services based on feedback received from our members.
Vitally, our members know that they are contributing to the work of the iO to develop and promote osteopathy and investing in the future of our profession.
Not sure why you should join? Just take a look below at what you can access as an iO member.
Got a question about membership or the work of the iO? Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
To join call 01582 488 455 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Insurance – Multi-Therapy Professional Liability and Public & Product Liability Insurance with £10 million cover (£5 million for first year graduates) tailored to the needs of osteopaths. The iO policy, developed over fourteen years’ of experience, offers permanent run off cover for osteopaths even after the policy term has lapsed – a key benefit which we believe will be required of all policies in the future.
- Medico-legal advice – Exclusively available to those who have professional liability insurance with the iO, our team of experts have an enviable record of providing excellent legal advice.
- Managing complaints – We have produced a Patient complaints guide to help you manage complaints. For those who have professional liability insurance with the iO, we will also support you with complaints from patients or the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC)* – we are your friend in time of need . *exclusions apply.
- 24-hour legal helpline for those that have professional liability insurance with the iO, providing professional legal advice on any problem, business or personal (if a sole trader but not for multi-therapist clinic) 0345 013 3779
- COSSET (Confidential Osteopathic Support for Emotional Trauma) available experienced osteopaths at the end of a telephone line during out of office hours to listen to your problems.
- Osteopathy Today (OT) - Our magazine contains the latest news, including updates on how we are working to develop the profession, CPD articles, debate and opinion pieces written by osteopaths. Published six times a year, all the key articles are also available to download.
- ConnectiOns – Our fortnightly e-newsletter, giving the latest news on the profession as it happens.
- iO Members forum – An opportunity to have your say on what’s important to you and comment on the latest initiatives and developments in the industry.
- iO Convention – The osteopathic event of the year. Along with unprecedented networking opportunities, the convention delivers a uniquely diverse programme of lectures and workshops to meet all your professional development needs as well as celebrating the best in osteopathy at the iO Annual Awards.
- Osteopathic Development group (ODG) – This national initiative is a collaboration of key osteopathic organisations designed to bring the profession together. The iO contribute and provide support for a range of ODG projects designed to improve and develop the profession.
- Osteopathic Opportunities – our online job opportunity board where you can advertise your details and look for osteopathic vacancies across the UK and internationally
- CPD – articles, workshops and convention - In every issue of OT you will find a CPD article and quiz that will provide you with useful practical information which you can apply in your practice immediately. The annual convention hosts a weekend of clinical and business based CPD. We have also started hosting a series of one day CPD workshops.
- iO internship and QMC fellowship – iO members can apply for prestigious intern and fellowship positions. These positions provide a unique opportunity to gain experience within leading NHS units and the opportunity not only to develop your career but the benefits of osteopathy in an NHS setting.
- Find an Osteopath – Every member can be listed on our website’s online database promoting your practice to the public. You can add your own text and graphics and add website links.
- Leaflets and posters – A range of quality leaflets and posters that you can use to promote osteopathy in your practice. Also available as downloadable PDF’s.
- Practice development resource library – A wide range of resources including copy for blogs and websites, template presentations that you can use to develop and promote your clinic. It also includes practical resources such as patient record cards and principle/associate agreements to name just a few.
- Classified advertising – Access 70% of the osteopathic profession! iO members can advertise on our site free of charge, and your advert will be displayed for four weeks (unless you ask us to remove it sooner). Non-members can pay to place adverts by calling us on 01582 488455.
- Supplier directory - Exclusive discounts on many practice services including products through Caradoc, a medical buying consortium.
- Yellow pages advertising - The opportunity to advertise in the Yellow Pages iO Corporate Box. Please call 0808 100 7890 for further details.
- Discounted Credit/Debit card payment facility - Reduced cost Worldpay credit/debit card facility. Please call the iO office on 01582 488 455 and ask to be referred to WorldPay who will then contact you.
- Acupuncture Licensing in London – We have negotiated an exemption for iO members needing an acupuncture licence in London
|Membership Type||Annual Fee||Monthly Direct Debit|
|4th Year Graduate||£225.00||£18.75|
|3rd Year Graduate||£201.00||£16.75|
|2nd Year Graduate||£141.00||£11.75|
|1st Year Graduate||£85.00||£7.08|
To find out more about any of these services, please contact us on email@example.com or call 01582 488 455.